Aug 11, 2017

First Book Signing Event


                                         If you have been following my Reviews as much as I hope you have then you will see a consistency of Lisa See Novels sprinkling happily on my page. Ever since I picked up a copy of  Snow Flower and The Secret Fan (which I haven't reviewed yet) I have been obsessed with getting my hands on every book she has ever written. Her writing style is a mixture of First person narratives, casual and informal writing. I have always loved her ability to pace her stories. Her books are never set in a timeline of just a few month but of a lifetime. We meet her characters during their young ages and sometimes say goodbye in their old. With her consistent themes of Mother love and the difficult relationships between sisters I have found a familiarity with each character.

Which is why I was over the moon when my husband surprised me with the gift of my very first Book Signing! It was everything and more of what I have ever imagined. My mother watched my sons while we made the hour and a half trip to Pleasanton CA. The book signing was being held at Inklings Coffe&Tea (their coffee and atmosphere was amazing!) and the event was being run by Towne Center Books. Check out their websites when you get a chance!

                                       Upon arriving we had trouble finding a good spot to park. We ended up having to park a block away from the event which surprisingly wasn't all that bad. The neighborhood was so quaint and beautiful that the walk was welcomed. It gave me a chance to calm my nerves and explore the many different shops and restaurants Pleasanton had to offer. At the entrance we were required to sign in and had the option of purchasing Lisa See's latest novel The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane. (I purchased mine three days before and already finished the book)
I was a ball of nerves! Having not purchased a seat we were forced to stand in the back with the other unprepared readers. I was shocked to find others who loved Lisa See's novels as much as I did. With an awkward start I became temporary friends with them. (They had already attended her other book signings ) With a quick scan of the room we noticed my husband to be the only male who wasn't an employee. He didn't mind and we had a good laugh about it later. If anything he was just as excited about the experience as I was.

Before the event started Lisa See herself did a quick walk around the room where I was fortunate to say hello and introduce myself to her. I was all but star-strucked.
Listening to her talk about what her inspiration, and all the research she did for her latest book I found myself liking her even more. She was funny, witty, and comfortable in her environment. She was happy to tell us everything. It was her way of bringing herself closer to her readers and giving us a chance to see her for who she was. I loved every moment of it.

Once it was time for my turn to have my book signed I shyly handed her my copy of Snow Flower and The Secret Fan. With my copy not being the newest she laughingly noted " how well loved" it was. Once I told her that this was my first book signing she became humble and hoped that I enjoyed the experience. I told her I very much did and would surely return to all of her book signings in the future.
I left that event with a big smile and my freshly signed books pressed closely to my chest.

FEATURED LINKS TO CHECK OUT
AUTHOR LISA SEE
BOOK THE TEA GIRL OF HUMMINGBIRD LANE
COFFEE SHOP INKLINGS COFFEE & TEA
BOOKSTORE TOWNE CENTER BOOKS







1 comment:

  1. I thought you were divorced? You guys are together again?

    ReplyDelete