Aug 21, 2017

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak



PLOT
Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.

THOUGHTS
Do you ever just sit down after reading a heartbreaking book and begin to examine your life and the choices you've made? The Book Thief  is so wonderfully written. At first I was having a bit of a rough time understanding who the Narrator was. Keep in mind I had not watched the movie nor looked at any social media forums that could give away any details to the plot. I absolutely loathe spoilers. I will go above and beyond to steer clear of spoilers. It's quite impressive if I'll be honest. Excessive but impressive.

I came upon this edition at my many happy trips to Costco. Yes, Costco. The land of bulk size, grocery buying, vacation packages, and they'er impressive collection of books. I will forever and always run to the book section to see what deals I will most definitely be participating in.
A little put off by the pristine white cover and base I was very close to putting the book down when I had a thought. "If I don't take this book now I will most likely lie to myself and claim to buy a different copy another time. When really I'll either forget or become distracted by another book." So with fear of ruining the book with the tiniest dirt mark I took it home. (Honestly? How do people not fear wearing white pants?)

Leisel's fascination with books trumped my own. I enjoyed the build up of her relationship with books. Each significant moment in her life was tied to a book in some way. From tragedy to love. Being a Book Thief became a part of her identity, but it also gave her an escape from the horrors she not only witnessed but experienced. She read a gravediggers handbook for heavens sake! She treasured the words and the art of books. It made her more enchanting. You had to understand Death's own fascination with her.
Leisel's relationship with her Papa was so beautiful. Each moment they shared made me want to protect them at all costs. He was everything she needed and was her definition of what love was.

I'm not even upset with the author for making me cry. Each tear was worth it. This beautifully written book was worth every tear.





FIND THE AUTHOR MARKUS ZUSAK
BUY THE BOOK AMAZON / BARNES&NOBLE / BOOK DEPOSITORY

No comments:

Post a Comment