Feb 22, 2016

Eleanor And Park - Rainbow Rowell


PLOT
Eleanor... Red hair, wrong clothes. Standing behind him until he turns his head. Lying beside him until he wakes up. Making everyone else seem drabber and flatter and never good enough...Eleanor.
Park... He knows she'll love a song before he plays it for her. He laughs at her jokes before she ever gets to the punch line. There's a place on his chest, just below his throat, that makes her want to keep promises...Park.
Set over the course of one school year, this is the story of two star-crossed sixteen-year-olds—smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try.

THOUGHTS
This is my little sisters copy. She's not much of a reader, but this book had her in a blubbering ugly crying mess. I had already read every Rainbow Rowell book but for some reason I put this one off. I'm not sure if it's because it may be her best seller or that I'm not a YA person. There's nothing wrong with YA! So please don't be offended if you do enjoy it. I just relate better to characters who are 24 and up. 
Alas I watched my sister ugly cry and profess her love for a book (she hasn't read any other book since) and I was intrigued.
I enjoyed it. It was very different from every other YA I had tried. There were complexities to both main characters that weren't far fetch. This story could easily be a reality for someone out there. Which breaks my heart because Eleanor's life was a hard life. She and her siblings deserved a lot better. So it was hard not to judge her mom. Park was all kinds of adorable. My sister fell head over heels for him. Before reading it I promised her that Park was all hers haha! 
The plot explored a lot of the Main characters family dynamics. From living as a product of an interracial couple to dealing with an abusive step-parent. I felt those details were very much an important part to the characters relationship and the plot build up. They weren't just background noise you usually experience with a novel.
Rainbow Rowell did it again. Making us all fall in love with her humor, her characters, her story telling, and HER. 



FOLLOW THE AUTHOR RAINBOW ROWELL
BUY THE BOOK AMAZON / BARNES&NOBLE / BOOK DEPOSITORY



No comments:

Post a Comment